शुक्रवार, १ मे, २०१५

Travelling Solo - Supriya Sehgal

Supriya Sehgal is travelling since past 10 years. She is a freelance travel writer. She writes regular features for India and International travel publications. She has written for Lonely Planet's South India trip guides. Her 'Short Escapes from Bengaluru', 'kerala', 'Best Escapes' & 'Filmy Escapes' have already hit the stands.


Thanks Supriya for agreeing to talk to World of Gypsies.





When and how did you become a traveler?

I started travelling solo while I was still in a job, about 11 years ago. I started documenting my travels a little and got a few gigs to publish in newspapers. It was a slow start till I gave a test for Lonely Planet guidebooks and got commissioned my first book, Short Escapes from Bengaluru. After that, I have done more than 10 books with the group.

Which was your first trip? What was your inspiration?

It was Hampi with no clear agenda - just to get out and explore a place without the help of Google or a map.

Your memorable moments..

In Hampi I enjoyed walking for hours along a banana plantation, meeting an Italian Baba who spoke immaculate Hindi and sharing a spectacular sunset with a local girl, Lakshmi.

Favourite place in India? why?

While there are no favourites, I love Varanasi and the Nilgiris in India.Varanasi for a heady mix of stimuli and carefree attitude of the people. The Nilgiris for a therapeutic, refreshing feeling!

Any place in India which  you won't  like to visit again? why?
Rajahmundry in Andhra Pradesh was a sans excitement trip. There is no reason, but I didn't enjoy so much. I had gone there for work, so it was imperative to visit.

Did you feel safe on Indian roads?

Yes.

What steps do you take to make sure you stay safe while on the road?

I sit in the front seat of the cab and always talk to the driver, creating an immediate bond. I try and not wander alone at night ( which is just common sense). I keep someone amongst family and friends in the know how of my plan. Other than that, I don't take any specific measures.

Till today how many countries you have visited? which was your favourite country, place? why?

About 13-14.. I loved the passion for outdoors in Australia and Canada amongst the people.

What is the biggest thing you have learned about yourself while travelling solo?

Not about myself, but the biggest thing that I have learnt is that it is important to trust people.

Any plan about your next tour

I am headed to Rajasthan to pen a book on off-beat things, for a leading publisher in India.

Follow her on -
http://www.supriyasehgal.com/
http://tea4travel.blogspot.in/?view=magazine

कोणत्याही टिप्पण्‍या नाहीत:

टिप्पणी पोस्ट करा